Rural Works! welcomes private, public, government, and non-profit organizations in rural communities to host an intern for summer 2019. The Rural Works! program coordinator is available to assist employers throughout the process. Please let us know if you have any questions about the program.
To qualify for the Rural Works! program, employers must:
- be located in or work with a rural community in North Carolina
- compensate the intern a minimum of $10.00 per hour for 40 hours per week for 10-12 weeks
- help the intern identify temporary housing within the community
- provide the intern with interim and post internship feedback (a template will be provided)
- complete a post internship evaluation survey
- provide each intern eight hours of compensated time to conduct or participate in a community engagement activity outside of their job to deepen their understanding of the community
- submit the Employer Interest Form by January 10, 2019
- submit the Internship Description Form by January 10, 2019 (form will be posted on ePack)
- Rural Works! will promote the internship opportunity to NC State students
- employers will review applications, conduct interviews, and hire an intern by March 25, 2019
- employers should complete the Employer Hiring Form once they have selected an intern
- employers may begin their hiring process on October 8, 2018. All hiring must be complete by March 25, 2019.
Support from Rural Works!
The Rural Works! coordinator is available to assist employers throughout the entire process. If you need help creating an internship description, developing interview questions or onboarding the intern, we can help. If you would like to hold interviews on campus, we can reserve space for you.
- January 10, 2019: Deadline to submit Employer Interest Form
- January 10, 2019: Internship Description Form due & employer conference call (time TBD)
- March 1, 2019: Internship applications close to students on ePack
- March 25, 2019: Deadline for hiring to be complete.
- Mid-April 2019: Conference call for employers with Rural Works! Coordinator
- Late May/early-June 2019: Internships begin