Rural Works! welcomes private, public, government and non profit organizations in rural communities to host an intern in summer 2019. The Rural Works! program coordinator is available to assist employers throughout the process. Please let us know if you have any questions about the program!
Eligibility for employers
In order for to participate in the Rural Works! Program, employers must meet certain criteria, including:
- Being located in or work with a rural community in North Carolina
- Being able to compensate the intern a minimum of $10 per hour for 40 hours a week for 10-12 weeks
- Being willing to help identify housing in the community for the intern
- Providing the intern with interim and post internship feedback (template will be provided)
- Completing a post internship evaluation survey
- Agreeing to provide each student 8 hours of compensated time to conduct or participate in a community engagement activity outside of their job to deepen their understanding of the community
- Providing an internship between 10-12 weeks
- Employers that are interested in hosting an intern should submit the Employer Interest Form by January 10, 2019.
- Employers should the Internship Description Form no later than January 10, 2019 which will be posted on ePack.
- The Rural Works! Coordinator will promote the internship opportunity to NC State students.
- Employers will review applications, conduct interviews and hire an intern by March 25, 2019.
- Employers should complete the Employer Hiring Form once they have selected an intern.
Employers may begin their hiring process October 8, 2018 and all hiring must be complete by March 25, 2019.
Support from Rural Works!
The Rural Works! Coordinator is available to assist employers throughout the entire process. If you need help creating an internship description, developing interview questions or onboarding the intern– we can help. If you would like to hold interviews on campus, we can reserve space for you.
- January 10, 2019: Deadline to submit Employer Interest Form
- January 10, 2019: Internship Description Form due & employer conference call (time TBD)
- March 1, 2019: Internship applications close to students on ePack
- March 25, 2019: Deadline for hiring to be complete. Employers should submit the Employer Hiring Form once hiring is complete.
- Mid-April 2019: Conference call for employers with Rural Works! Coordinator
- Late May/early June 2019: Internships begin